An aide-memoire tumble:
- Marinated hanger steak – I managed to source 1kg of hanger steak from Aubrey Allen in Leamington Spa for a tenner. They also threw in about 5 ox knees for my soup for free. After being marinated and cooked rare on the BBQ (over oak chips) it is very tender. It’s the new pork belly! I didn’t bother with David Chang’s “ghetto sous vide” method and I don’t think it would add much.
- Ginger and spring onion sauce
- Roasted onions
- Pureed kimchi – I got some kimchi from Sing Fat in Birmingham, it tasted a bit artificial but I didn’t have time to ferment my own. Made on an industrial estate in Taiwan no less. I pureed this up.
- Ssam sauce
- Grey salt
- Lettuce for ssam wrapping
- Short-grain rice with sushi vinegar
- Tare – chicken wings, sake, mirin, soy.
- Ramen broth – one sheet konbu, shiitakes, 1kg of beef shin, 5kg of ox knees (elbows would also work), 500g smoked black ham, onions, carrots, leeks, spring onions, ramen noodles, flavoured with tare.
- Pickled shiitakes, made from the mushrooms which went into the stock – soy, sherry vinegar, sugar
I was generally quite happy with the results. It certainly tasted “authentic” like some of the food we had in Korea. Next time I will make my own kimchi and some more banchan as per Paulo.